The Veeam Management Pack for System Center provides integration, monitoring, advanced reporting, and detailed topology features for virtualized systems and their hosts, and the associated network and storage fabric. This allows the virtual environment to be integrated into multiple System Center components, including System Center Operations Manager, Orchestrator, Virtual Machine Manager and Service Manager.
Veeam Management Pack includes:
- Veeam Management Pack for VMware
- Veeam Management Pack for Microsoft Hyper-V
- Management Pack for Veeam Backup & Replication
This online guide concerns the Veeam Management Pack for VMware (Veeam MP for VMware).
The Veeam MP for VMware integrates VMware virtual infrastructure performance, event, and configuration data into the enterprise-wide automated management, monitoring and alerting workflow implemented using Ops Mgr.
Key Features and Benefits
24x7 delivery of critical monitoring data: rich and detailed information on the status of vCenter Server, vSphere hosts, and virtual machines is continuously delivered into Ops Mgr using a distributed, centrally managed architecture with automated high availability and load balancing.
Scalable deployment and centralized management: multiple distributed Veeam Collectors scale to monitor the largest environments; and a centralized web-console simplifies configuration, license management and upgrade procedures.
Secure and agentless data collection: best practice API methods are used to collect event, topology, and performance information from the virtual infrastructure. No agent software is required on vSphere hosts or in VMs, and data is encrypted and communicated securely over HTTPS.
Out-of-the-box integration: built-in thresholds, graphs, and reports provide a ready-to-use detailed health model; an expert Knowledge Base empowers front-line monitoring staff and reduces problem resolution time.
Veeam MP for VMware Components
The Veeam Management Pack for VMware includes the following components:
- Veeam VMware Collector — gathers topology, event and performance data from VMware systems.
- Veeam Virtualization Extensions Service (VE Service)— is used for centralized configuration of Veeam VMware Collectors, failover and load balancing control, and license distribution. Can be automated using its own powershell interface (VEShell).
- Veeam Virtualization Extensions UI (Veeam UI) — web UI for configuration of the Extensions Service and the managed Collectors.
- Veeam Management Packs — provide rich and flexible capabilities for VMware management, fully and natively integrated with System Center. Primary functionality is in the Ops Mgr console, with advanced monitors, dashboards and reports.
The libraries in these MPs can also be imported to System Center Service Manager, and will allow integration with System Center Orchestrator.
Collected VMware Information
The Veeam Management Pack monitors hundreds of metrics and events, relating to all aspects of the vSphere environment.
For a complete list of available performance metrics and events, alerting thresholds, and a full set of online documentation, refer to the Veeam MP for VMware Online Reference.