Veeam Backup & Replication has the following limitations for work with Microsoft Hyper-V 2016 or later:
- Veeam Backup & Replication does not support processing of VMs with shared VHDX disks that are registered on Microsoft Hyper-V 2016 or later. You must change the disk format to VHD Set (VHDS).
- If Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 or later and hosts of lower versions are added to the same cluster, Veeam Backup & Replication will not use new mechanisms to work for VMs in this cluster (for example, online backup with checkpoints and RCT for change block tracking). The new mechanisms will be used only after you perform the following actions:
- Upgrade all nodes in the cluster to Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 or later
- Upgrade the cluster functional level
- Upgrade VM configuration version to 8.x
- For Hyper-V Server 1709 or later: backup of VMs with VMPmemController is not supported.
Veeam Backup & Replication has the following limitations on processing of shielded VMs:
- Veeam Backup & Replication cannot interact with the guest OS of a shielded VM and get information about its OS, IP address and so on. For this reason, the following operations are not supported for shielded VMs:
- Application-aware image processing
- Restore of VM guest OS files to the original location
- Restore of application items to the original location
- Shielded VMs can run only on trusted hosts guarded with the Host Guardian Service. Bear it in mind when selecting a target host for VM replication or VM restore. If the target host is not guarded with the same Host Guardian Service as the source host, you will not be able to power on the replicated or restored VM.
- If VM guest disks are encrypted with Bitlocker, Veeam Backup & Replication will not be able to restore VM guest OS files and application items from such disks.
Items 2 and 3 in the list above also apply to Generation 1 of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs that use Key Storage Drive. For more information about Key Storage Drive, see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/learn-more/Generation-1-virtual-machine-security-settings-for-Hyper-V.