A backup repository is a storage location where you can keep backup files and metadata for replicated VMs. You can configure the following types of backup repositories in the backup infrastructure:
- Microsoft Windows server with local or directly attached storage. The storage can be a local disk, directly attached disk-based storage (such as a USB hard drive), or iSCSI/FC SAN LUN in case the server is connected into the SAN fabric.
On a Windows repository, Veeam Backup & Replication deploys a local Veeam Data Mover (when you add a Windows-based server to the product console, Veeam Backup & Replication installs a set of components including the Veeam Data Mover on that server). When any job addresses the backup repository, the Veeam Data Mover on the backup repository establishes a connection with the source-side Veeam Data Mover on the backup proxy, enabling efficient data transfer over LAN or WAN.
- Linux server with local, directly attached storage or mounted NFS. The storage can be a local disk, directly attached disk-based storage (such as a USB hard drive), NFS share, or iSCSI/FC SAN LUN in case the server is connected into the SAN fabric.
When any task addresses a Linux repository, Veeam Backup & Replication deploys and starts the Veeam Data Mover on the backup repository. The Data Mover Service establishes a connection with the source-side Data Mover Service on the backup proxy, enabling efficient data transfer over LAN or WAN.
- CIFS (SMB) share. SMB share cannot host Veeam Data Movers. For this reason, data to the SMB share is written from the gateway server. By default, this role performs an on-host or off-host backup proxy that is used by the job for data transport.
However, if you plan to move VM data to an offsite SMB repository over a WAN link, it is recommended that you deploy an additional gateway server in the remote site, closer to the SMB repository. Veeam Backup & Replication will deploy a Veeam Data Mover on this gateway server, which will improve data transfer performance.
- Deduplicating storage appliance. Veeam Backup & Replication supports the following deduplicating storage appliances:
- EMC Data Domain
- HPE StoreOnce
- Gateway Server
- Adding Simple Backup Repositories
- Rescanning Simple Backup Repositories
- Editing Settings of Simple Backup Repositories
- Removing Simple Backup Repositories