If you need to perform tests for production VMs, you can use an On-Demand SandboxTM. The On-Demand Sandbox is an isolated virtual environment where you can start one or more VMs from backups. You can use the On-Demand Sandbox to perform the following tasks:
- Troubleshoot problems with VMs
- Test software patches and upgrades
- Install new software and so on
The On-Demand Sandbox uses a virtual lab — an isolated environment that is fully fenced off from the production environment. To start a VM in the virtual lab, Veeam Backup & Replication uses Instant Recovery to Microsoft Hyper-V. When you finish working with the On-Demand Sandbox, Veeam Backup & Replication unpublishes the VM and powers off the virtual lab.
To create the On-Demand Sandbox, you must configure the following objects:
- Virtual lab in which VMs will be started. For more information, see Virtual Lab.
- Application group. The application group must include all VMs that you want to start in the On-Demand Sandbox. This can be one VM or a group of VMs that work together. For more information, see Application Group.
- SureBackup job. The virtual lab and application group must be linked to this job. For more information, see SureBackup Job.