Network Attached Storage (SMB Shares)
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 lets you use network attached storage (NAS) as backup repositories. Such NAS storage can be a shared folder on your computer, or any other physical device that can be accessed via the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol.
Consider the following:
- Network share browsing is not supported; make sure to prove the path to the shared folder manually.
- A shared folder must be on a computer or device located within the same or a trusted domain.
- To use SMB 3.0, make sure you are using Microsoft Windows 8 or Microsoft Windows 2012 and higher.
To access and use a shared folder, do the following:
- Configure NTFS permissions.
- Configure share permissions.
For more information, see this Veeam article.
After you share a folder, you can access it via the SMB 3.0 protocol to read/write data to/from this folder.
To add a shared folder as a backup repository, in the Specify Backup Proxy Server step, in the Path field, specify the path to the shared folder using the following syntax: \\<FQDN_name> or <ip_address>\<shared_folder_name>.