Step 3. Select Objects to Back Up
At this step of the wizard, select objects that you want to back up.
In Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365, you can select to back up the entire organization or choose specific users, groups, sites, teams, and organizations.
Consider the following:
- You can create only one entire organization backup job per organization.
- Objects that are already added to the scope of any of your backup jobs will be skipped from the entire organization processing list.
- Due to possible access limitations some Site type objects may be unavailable.
- Starting from Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 version 7 CP4 (build 188.8.131.5268), you can add the following objects for Microsoft 365 organizations with modern app-only authentication: Public Folder Mailboxes and Discovery Search Mailboxes. Backup of these objects in earlier versions of Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 was not supported. For more information about additional permission and role that an Azure AD application needs to back up these objects, see Permissions for Backup and Granting Global Reader Role to Azure AD Application.
- When you add an Organization object, processing options are applied to all users, groups and sites in the selected organization.
Back Up Entire Organization
To back up all objects within the selected Microsoft organization, select Back up entire organization. Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 turns off team chats backup using Teams Export APIs to avoid unexpected costs incurred by Microsoft. Processing options for the entire organization cannot be configured.
Back Up Specific Objects
To back up specific users, groups, sites, teams, and organizations, do the following:
- Select Back up the following objects.
- Click Add and select one of the following options: Users, Groups, Sites, Teams, or Organization.
If you set up Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 to use Teams Export APIs for Microsoft 365 organizations, you can enable team chats backup using Teams Export APIs in processing options for Teams and Organization.
If you select a group, site or team as an individual object for backup (and not as a part of a user account, group or organization), this object does not consume a unit from the Veeam license.