This section lists considerations and known limitations in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.
In This Section
- The Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 RESTful API Service, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Service and Veeam Backup Proxy for Microsoft Office 365 Service must be started under the Local System account.
- You cannot change the name of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server or change domains of the server without resetting the configuration.
- If Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 and Veeam Backup & Replication are installed on the same machine, the email notification settings will be inherited from the Veeam Backup & Replication console.
- If the organization has multiple domains, they must be configured as a mesh to cross authenticate in order to download content from all domains with the service account. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- Microsoft Windows 2008 operating system is not supported; Windows 2008 R2 SP1 is the minimum supported version.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 does not support encryption at-rest.
- Backup proxy servers and the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server must be deployed within the same or a trusted domain.
- [For Microsoft Outlook] Preliminary releases such as Insider releases or releases provided by Monthly Channel Updates are not supported; Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 supports only RTM/GA versions. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- If the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console and a management server are deployed on different machines, make sure that the management server is trusted for delegation. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- If any of the machines with any of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 components have been renamed (or its FQDN has been changed), or any machine has been added to a different domain, then all the components become unavailable to each other. If any of the above has occurred on a server that acts as a backup proxy server, then such a server becomes Offline in the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console. To make a server available, re-add it, as described in Adding Backup Proxy Servers.
- IPv6 is not supported for Microsoft Azure China region.
- Notifications about backup jobs completion results may not work properly for Microsoft Azure China and Germany regions.
- Backup repositories with enabled volume deduplication are not supported.
- A symbolic link that is configured as a mapped drive is not supported.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 does not support the $root container in Azure blob storage.
- To back up mailboxes, make sure that a mailbox has a valid Microsoft Office 365 license. Otherwise a backup job will fail with the following error: "Error: Mailbox doesn't have a valid Microsoft Office 365 license"
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 backs up public folders that are located under the IPM_SUBTREE folder only.
- Project Web Apps are not supported for backup.
- On-premises service accounts cannot be used for multi-factor authentication.
- Backup of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for on-premises Microsoft Exchange 2013.
- You can select only the root public mailbox when backing up public mailboxes. The child folders of the selected public mailbox will be backed up as well.
- If you modify a retention policy tag for a folder, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 will perform full synchronization of that folder during the subsequent backup job session. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- A SharePoint Site Collection hierarchy is not supported if the root site was not configured. Make sure to configure the root site in advance using a SharePoint site template of your choice. Otherwise, the following error occurs: Error: Failed to find web template ID for: STS#-1. This organization account might be missing a valid SharePoint license. Web configuration is not complete.
- SharePoint sites with a red X over the symbol mean that there is an empty sector of the template and supported content is available in the subsites.
- Microsoft Teams messages cannot be restored directly back to Teams.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 restores public folders that are located under the IPM_SUBTREE folder only.
- Restore of multiple objects is not supported for public folders.
- Сross-tenant restores in Office 365 is only possible for Exchange Online objects, not for SharePoint sites.
- To restore In-Place Hold Items or Litigation Hold Items to the original location consider the following:
- Restore of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for on-premises Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 due to EWS limitations.
- To restore In-Place Hold Items of Exchange 2016/2019 mailboxes, these mailboxes must have In-Place Hold enabled and applied at least once with the DiscoveryHolds system folder creation. Otherwise, restore of In-Place Hold Items will fail with the following error: "Failed to restore In-Place Hold Items. Restore of In-Place Hold Items into Exchange 2013 is not supported".
For more information about enabling In-Place Hold and Litigation Hold, see this Microsoft article.