This section covers considerations and known limitations of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.
Infrastructure and Configuration
- Installation on Microsoft Windows 2008 operating system is not supported; Windows 2008 R2 SP1 is the minimum supported version.
- Using FAT32 is not recommended due to the limited database size (4 GB). Use NTFS or ReFS instead.
- For Microsoft Outlook 2016, the preliminary releases, like Insider releases or releases provided by Monthly Channel Updates are not supported; Veeam supports only RTM/GA versions. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- If you are running the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console and a management server on different servers, ensure that the management server is trusted for delegation. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- Symbolic link set as a mapped drive is not supported as repository target.
- If a Windows machine that hosts a backup proxy has been renamed, then such a proxy will have the Offline status displayed in the management console.
To workaround this, remove such a backup proxy server from the backup infrastructure and add it anew.
- IPv6 addressing is not supported for Microsoft Azure China region.
- Notifications on backup jobs completion results may not work properly for Microsoft Azure China and Germany regions.
- If you want to use HTTP proxies to connect to EWS for data retrieval, it is strongly recommended that you contact Veeam technical support to help you configure required parameters properly.
- Backup of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for On-Premises Exchange 2013 due to EWS limitations.
- When backing up a public folder, only the root hierarchy mailbox will be available.
- If you modify the retention policy tag for a folder, Veeam Backup will perform full synchronization of that folder during the next job run. The reason is that any change to retention policy makes changes to all items in the folder (modifies tag, updates last modification time). Such changes are treated by synchronization mechanism as the new item version, which, in turn, automatically initiates a full sync. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- Restore of multiple objects is not supported for public folders.
- To restore In-Place Hold Items or Litigation Hold Items to the original location consider the following:
- Restore of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for On-Premises Exchange Server 2013 due to EWS limitations.
- To restore In-Place Hold Items of Exchange 2016 mailboxes, these mailboxes must have In-Place Hold enabled and applied at least once, with DiscoveryHolds system folder creation. Otherwise, restore of In-Place Hold Items will fail with an error: "Failed to restore In-Place Hold Items. Restore of In-Place Hold Items into Exchange 2013 is not supported". For information on enabling In-Place Hold and Litigation Hold, see this Microsoft article
- Currently, Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange does not support browsing and restoring items from the Versions subfolder of the Recoverable Items folder used by In-Place Hold and Litigation Hold to preserve items.