This section covers known Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 considerations and limitations.
Infrastructure and Configuration
- Installing the product on Windows 2008 operating system is not supported; Windows 2008 R2 SP1 is a minimal supported OS version.
- Using FAT32 is not recommended due to the limited database size, which is 4GB. Use NTFS and ReFS instead.
- Requirements and limitations from Microsoft can be found in the System requirements for Office article. In particular, it is impossible to modify throttling policies for Exchange Online. If you need to modify these settings, please contact Microsoft technical support. For more information, see this Microsoft article
- For Microsoft Outlook 2016, the preliminary releases, like Insider releases, or releases provided through Monthly Channel Updates are not supported; Veeam supports only RTM/GA versions of this product. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- Backup proxy servers and the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server must be deployed within the same or trusted domain.
- If you want to use HTTP proxies to connect to EWS for data retrieval, it is strongly recommended that you contact Veeam technical support to help you configure required parameters properly.
- Current version does not support automatic firewall rules creation and ports opening. If any of the required ports is closed, you should open it manually. For more information, see Used Ports.
- If you are running Veeam Backup for Office 365 UI (shell) and management server on different machines, before installing a backup proxy that will be controlled by that management server, make sure that management server is trusted for delegation. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- Symbolic link set as a mapped drive is not supported as repository target in this version.
- If a Windows machine hosting backup proxy was renamed, this proxy will have the Offline status displayed in the management console. To work around, in the management console remove this proxy from the infrastructure configuration, then configure this proxy anew, targeting at the machine with its new name. Associated repositories will be preserved.
- If the ProxyDB folder containing proxy configuration database is deleted from a proxy server, this proxy cannot obtain information about its associated repositories any longer. Thus, backup jobs targeted at those repositories will fail with the following error message: “Error: Repository does not exist.” To work around, you need to re-create this proxy.
- A repository initially associated with the certain backup proxy can be used only by a proxy with the same or higher version of Windows OS. If you try to associate this repository with a backup proxy running an earlier Windows version (for example, after downgrading the proxy server OS due to maintenance reasons), the program will not be able to access the repository data. The error message will be issued saying:
"Error: JetError -514, JET_errBadLogVersion, Version of log file is not compatible with Jet version".
The reason is that Jet engine (ESE) differs for different versions of Windows OS. To be able to work with the data backed up by a proxy prior to such maintenance, make sure that the proxy has the same OS version before and after maintenance.
- IPv6 addressing is not supported for Microsoft Azure China region.
- Notifications on job results may not work properly for Microsoft Azure China and Germany regions.
- Backup of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for on-premises Exchange 2013 due to EWS limitations.
- When creating public folders backups, only the primary hierarchy mailbox will be selectable for the backup.
- If you modify the retention policy tag for a folder, Veeam Backup will perform full synchronization of that folder during the next job run. The reason is that any change to retention policy makes changes to all items in the folder (modifies tag, updates last modification time). Such changes are treated by synchronization mechanism as the new item version, which, in turn, automatically initiates a full sync. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- Bulk restore (restore of multiple objects) is not supported for public folders. Use usual (per-object) restore instead.
- If you want to restore In-Place Hold Items or Litigation Hold Items to the original location (that is, original mailbox system folders), consider the limitations that exist for this kind of restore:
- Restore of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for on-premises Exchange Server 2013 due to EWS limitations.
- To restore In-Place Hold Items of Exchange 2016 mailboxes, these mailboxes must have In-Place Hold enabled and applied at least once, with DiscoveryHolds system folder creation. Otherwise, restore of In-Place Hold Items will fail with an error: "Failed to restore In-Place Hold Items. Restore of In-Place Hold Items into Exchange 2013 is not supported". For information on enabling In-Place Hold and Litigation Hold, see this Microsoft article.
- Currently, Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange does not support browsing and restoring items from the Versions subfolder of the Recoverable Items folder used by In-Place Hold and Litigation Hold to preserve items.
Send feedback | Updated on 6/13/2018