Considerations and Limitations
This section lists considerations and known limitations in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.
For the complete list of known issues and limitations in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 5.0, see Release Notes. For limitations in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 functionality when protecting organizations with modern app-only authentication, see this Veeam KB article.
- The Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 RESTful API Service, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Service and Veeam Backup Proxy for Microsoft Office 365 Service must be started using the Local System account.
- You cannot change the name of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server or change domains of the server without resetting the configuration.
- If the organization has multiple domains, they must be configured as a mesh to cross authenticate in order to download content from all domains with the service account. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- Microsoft Windows 2008 operating system is not supported; Windows 2008 R2 SP1 is the minimum supported version.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 does not support encryption at-rest for the following types of backup repositories:
- A local directory on a backup proxy server.
- Direct Attached Storage (DAS) connected to the backup proxy server.
- Storage Area Network (SAN).
- Network Attached Storage (SMB 3.0 shares).
- [For Microsoft Outlook] Preliminary releases such as Insider releases or releases provided by Monthly Channel Updates are not supported; Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 supports only RTM/GA versions. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- If the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console and a management server are deployed on different machines, make sure that the management server is trusted for delegation. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- If any of the machines with any of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 components have been renamed (or its FQDN has been changed), or any machine has been added to a different domain, then all the components become unavailable to each other. If any of the above has occurred on a server that acts as a backup proxy server, then such a server becomes Offline in the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console. To make a server available, re-add it, as described in Adding Backup Proxy Servers.
- IPv6 is not supported for Microsoft Azure China region.
- Notifications about backup jobs completion results may not work properly for Microsoft Azure China and Germany regions.
- Backup repositories with enabled volume deduplication are not supported.
- A symbolic link that is configured as a mapped drive is not supported.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 does not support the $root container in Azure blob storage.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 does not support Glacier or Lifecycle policy in Amazon AWS Data Management or Azure Archive storage class.
- Make sure the S3 Compatible device you are adding supports AWS v4 signature. For more information about authentication requests, see this Amazon article.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 allows you to migrate data from a local backup repository to an object storage repository, but not vice versa. For more information, see the Move-VBOEntityData section of the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 PowerShell Reference.
- To back up user mailboxes, make sure that a mailbox has a valid Microsoft Office 365 license. Otherwise a backup job will fail with the following error: "Error: Mailbox doesn't have a valid Microsoft Office 365 license".
- To back up public folder mailboxes, the Veeam Backup account must have a valid Exchange Online license and an active mailbox within the Microsoft Office 365 organization.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 backs up public folders that are located under the IPM_SUBTREE folder only.
- Project Web Apps are not supported for backup.
- On-premises service accounts cannot be used for multi-factor authentication.
- Backup of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for on-premises Microsoft Exchange 2013.
- You can select only the root public mailbox when backing up public mailboxes. The child folders of the selected public mailbox will be backed up as well.
- If you modify a retention policy tag for a folder, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 will perform full synchronization of that folder during the subsequent backup job session. For more information, see this Microsoft article.
- A SharePoint Site Collection hierarchy is not supported if the root site was not configured. Make sure to configure the root site in advance using a SharePoint site template of your choice. Otherwise, the following error occurs: Error: Failed to find web template ID for: STS#-1. This organization account might be missing a valid SharePoint license. Web configuration is not complete.
- When backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 does not create a new version of an item the Read/Unread property of which was changed. That said, the Read/Unread property of each of the backed-up items always remains exactly the same as it was during the initial backup.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 does not back up the following Microsoft Teams objects:
- Private channels
- One-on-one and group chats
- Audio and video calls
- Video recordings
- Calendar: information about meetings and meeting chats
- Code snippets in posts
- Banner notifications in posts
- Data of applications added as channel tabs that does not reside in the SharePoint document library of the channel
- As part of Microsoft Teams data backup, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 backs up only the following types of channel tabs: Website, Planner, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, PDF, Document Library, OneNote, SharePoint, Stream, Forms, Power BI, Flow and Azure DevOps.
- SharePoint sites with a red X over the symbol mean that there is an empty sector of the template and supported content is available in the subsites.
- Microsoft Teams messages cannot be restored directly back to Teams.
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 restores public folders that are located under the IPM_SUBTREE folder only.
- Bulk restore (restore of multiple objects) is not supported for public folder mailboxes. Use the regular per-object restore instead.
- Cross-tenant restore to Microsoft Office 365 is only possible for Exchange Online objects, not for SharePoint sites.
- To restore In-Place Hold Items or Litigation Hold Items to the original location, consider the following:
- Restore of In-Place Hold Items is not supported for on-premises Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 due to EWS limitations.
- To restore In-Place Hold Items of Exchange 2016/2019 mailboxes, these mailboxes must have In-Place Hold enabled and applied at least once with the DiscoveryHolds system folder creation. Otherwise, restore of In-Place Hold Items will fail with the following error: "Failed to restore In-Place Hold Items. Restore of In-Place Hold Items into Exchange 2013 is not supported".
For more information about enabling In-Place Hold and Litigation Hold, see this Microsoft article.
- Restore of OneNote notebooks from backups of Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft Teams data for organizations with enabled security defaults using multi-factor authentication is not supported.