At this step of the wizard, specify retention policy settings.
- In the Retention policy drop-down list, specify how long your data should be stored in a backup repository.
- Choose a retention type:
- Item-level retention.
Select this type if you want to keep an item until its creation time or last modification time is within the retention coverage.
- Snapshot-based retention.
Select this type if you want to keep an item until its latest restore point is within the retention coverage.
- Click Advanced to specify when to apply a retention policy. You can select to apply it on a daily basis, or monthly. For more information, see Configuring Advanced Settings.
For more information about retention policies, see Retention Policy.
Consider the following:
- The retention type of a backup repository cannot be changed once set.
- The retention type of a backup repository cannot be modified when extending a repository with object storage that contains offloaded backup data.
In such a scenario, the retention type will be inherited from that of object storage that you have selected in the previous step.
- A retention policy configured in this step removes outdated restore points located in object storage repositories.
After you click Advanced, the Advanced Settings dialog appears in which you can select either of the following options:
- Daily at
Select this option if you want a retention policy to be applied on a daily basis and choose the time and day.
- Monthly at
Select this option if you want a retention policy to be applied on a monthly basis and choose the time and day, which can be the first, second, third, fourth or even the last one in the month.