Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is licensed per the overall number of Microsoft Office 365 users in all Office 365 Organizations.
Each user can have a personal mailbox, an Online Archive mailbox or both. In any case, you will need one license file (i.e. per user) to archive mailbox data.
Backup of shared and resource mailboxes is also supported, however, such types of mailboxes do not require to be licensed.
- If one organization that is added to the Veeam Backup for Office 365 scope comprises 200 mailboxes and another one comprises 100 mailboxes, then you will need 300 mailbox users to be licensed in total.
- If you have 200 user mailboxes, 5 shared mailboxes and 5 resource mailboxes, you will only need 200 user mailboxes to be licensed.
Veeam also considers managed mailboxes, having at least one restore point that was created within the last 31 days. If you do not archive a mailbox for 31 day, its license will be revoked and can be applied to another mailbox.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 supports the following types of licenses:
- Subscription License. Paid, fully-functional license that expires at the end of the subscription term, which is 1 or 3 years from the contract start date (depending on subscription length).
- Rental License. Paid, fully-functional license that expires at the end of the contract, which is the last day of the month and normally 1 month from the contract start date. This license type is distributed only to service providers.
- Not For Resale License. Free, fully-functional license that can be used for product demonstration, training and education. This license is not for resale or other commercial use.
- Evaluation License. Free, fully-functional license that can be used for evaluation and testing purposes only.