For VM guest OS file indexing, Veeam Backup & Replication uses the Veeam Guest Catalog Service. In the backup infrastructure, the Veeam Guest Catalog Service is installed on two types of servers: backup server and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager server.
- The Veeam Guest Catalog Service on the backup server works as a local catalog service. It collects indexing data for backup jobs and stores this data in the Veeam Backup Catalog folder. By default, the indexing data is stored in the C:\VBRCatalog folder on the backup server.
- The Veeam Guest Catalog Service on Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager works as a global, federal catalog service. It communicates with Veeam Guest Catalog Services on backup servers connected to Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager and performs the following tasks:
- Replicates indexing data from backup servers to create a global catalog for the whole backup infrastructure. By default, the Veeam Backup Catalog folder is located in the C:\VBRCatalog folder on the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager server.
- Maintains indexing data retention.
- Lets you search for VM guest OS files in current and archived backup file.