Encryption for a backup job is configured in the advanced job settings. You should enable the encryption option and specify a password to protect data in backup files produced by the backup job.
The backup job processing with encryption enabled includes the following steps:
- You enable encryption for a backup job and specify a password.
- Veeam Backup & Replication generates the necessary keys to protect backup data.
- Veeam Backup & Replication encrypts data blocks on the backup proxy, either the dedicated or default one, and transfers them to the backup repository already encrypted.
- On the backup repository, encrypted data blocks are stored to a resulting backup file.
Restore of an encrypted backup file includes the following steps:
- You import a backup file and define a password to decrypt the backup file. If the password has changed once or several times, you need to specify the password in the following manner:
- If you import an incremental backup file, you need to specify the latest password that was used to encrypt files in the backup chain.
- If you import a full backup file, you need to specify the whole set of passwords that were used to encrypt files in the backup chain.
- Veeam Backup & Replication uses the provided password(s) to generate user key(s) and unlock the subsequent keys for backup file decryption.
- Veeam Backup & Replication retrieves data blocks from the backup file, sends them to the source side and decrypts them on the backup proxy, either the dedicated or default one.