CBT Impact on Snapshot Retention
If CBT is available, Veeam Backup for AWS does not remove the cloud-native snapshot used as a source for image-level backup from the snapshot chain until the next image-level backup session completes. Therefore, at some point in time you may discover that Veeam Backup for AWS ignores retention policy settings and keeps an additional restore point in the snapshot chain.
For example, a backup policy has the following settings:
- Image-level backup creation is enabled.
- Backup policy is scheduled to run daily:
- Cloud-native snapshots must be created at 7:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM, and 5:00 PM.
Retention policy for cloud-native snapshots is set to 2 restore points.
- Image-level backups must be created at 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
Retention policy for image-level backups is set to 7 days.
Veeam Backup for AWS will run the backup policy in the following way:
- At 7:00 AM, a backup session will create a cloud-native snapshot, and then use this snapshot to create a full image-level backup.
- From 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, backup sessions will create only cloud-native snapshots.
- After a backup session runs at 11:00 AM, the length of a snapshot chain (3 restore points) will exceed the retention limit (2 restore points). The earliest snapshot, however, will not be removed as it will be used to track changed data at 5:00 PM when the next image-level backup creation is scheduled.
- After a backup session runs at 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM, Veeam Backup for AWS will remove snapshots created at 9:00 AM and 11:00 AM respectively. The length of a snapshot chain will remain at 3 restore points.
- At 5:00 PM, a backup session will create a cloud-native snapshot. Veeam Backup for AWS will compare this snapshot with the one created at 7:00 AM to identify changed data blocks. After that, the backup session will create an incremental image-level backup based on the data obtained from snapshot comparison.
- After snapshot comparison, Veeam Backup for AWS will remove from the chain a snapshot created at 7:00 AM (as it is no longer needed) and a snapshot created at 1:00 PM to meet retention policy settings.