EC2 Instance Restore
To restore EC2 instances from cloud-native snapshots, manual cloud-native snapshots and snapshot replicas, Veeam Backup for AWS uses native AWS capabilities. To restore EC2 instances from image-level backups, Veeam Backup for AWS performs the following steps:
- [This step applies only if you perform restore from an archived backup] Retrieves data from the archived restore point.
- Launches a worker instance in the AWS Region where the restored EC2 instance will reside.
- Creates empty EBS volumes and attaches them to the worker instance.
The number of empty EBS volumes equals the number of EBS volumes attached to the backed-up EC2 instance.
- Restores backed-up data to the empty EBS volumes on the worker instance.
- Detaches EBS volumes with restored data from the worker instance.
- Removes the worker instance from Amazon EC2.
- Creates an EC2 instance in the specified location.
- Attaches EBS volumes with restored data to the target EC2 instance.
- [This step applies only if you perform restore to the original location] Powers off the source EC2 instance and removes it from Amazon EC2.
To learn how to restore an entire EC2 instance from a cloud-native snapshot, snapshot replica or an image-level backup, see EC2 Restore.