Uninstalling Veeam Backup for AWS
Depending on the installation option you chose to deploy Veeam Backup for AWS, use one of the following options to uninstall the solution:
- If you deployed a backup appliance from AWS Marketplace, you must delete the CloudFormation stack created while installing Veeam Backup for AWS. All resources included in the stack will be deleted automatically.
- If you deployed a backup appliance from the AMI, you must manually delete AWS resources created while installing Veeam Backup for AWS.
When you deploy Veeam Backup for AWS from the Veeam Backup & Replication console, the CloudFormation stack is not created and AWS resources cannot be managed as a single unit. Keep in mind that these resources are not automatically deleted from AWS when you remove the backup appliance from Veeam Backup & Replication. To learn how to manually delete resources created during Veeam Backup for AWS installation, see the Integration with Veeam Backup for AWS Guide, section Removing Appliances.
Note that backed-up data will not be removed automatically after you uninstall the solution. You can keep this data in your AWS environment and import it to a new backup appliance:
- To import cloud-native snapshots, rescan AWS Regions where the snapshots are stored. The snapshots will be automatically imported to the configuration database.
- To import image-level backups, assign the Amazon S3 bucket where the backups are stored to a new backup repository as described in section Adding Backup Repositories.
If you do not want to keep the backed-up data, remove it manually as described in section Managing Backed-Up Data. Alternatively, you can remove the data using the AWS Management Console:
- Log in to the AWS Management Console using credentials of an AWS account where the data is stored.
- Use the region selector in the upper-right corner of the page to select the AWS Region in which the backed-up data is stored.
- Remove the backed-up data:
- To remove backups, navigate to Services > S3. Select an Amazon S3 bucket where the backups are stored. Navigate to Veeam > Backup, select the backup repository folder, and click Delete.
- To remove RDS cloud-native snapshots, navigate to Services > RDS > Snapshots, select the necessary Veeam snapshots, and click Delete.
- To remove EC2 cloud-native snapshots, navigate to Services > EC2 > Snapshots, select the necessary Veeam snapshots, and click Delete.