Creating EC2 Backup Policies
One backup policy can be used to process one or more instances within one AWS account. The scope of data that you can protect in an AWS account is limited by permissions of an IAM role that is specified in the backup policy settings.
Before you create an EC2 backup policy, check the following prerequisites:
- If you plan to create image-level backups of EC2 instances, backup infrastructure components that will take part in the backup process must be added to the backup infrastructure and configured properly. These include backup repositories and worker instances.
- If you plan to receive email notifications on backup policy results, configure SMTP server settings first. For details, see Configuring Global Email Notification Settings.
- If you plan to create transactionally consistent backups of EC2 instances, check the requirements for application-aware processing and guest scripting.
To create an EC2 backup policy, complete the following steps:
- Launch the Add EC2 Policy wizard.
- Specify a backup policy name and description.
- Configure backup source settings.
- Enable guest processing.
- Configure backup target settings.
- Specify a schedule for the backup policy.
- Enable AWS tags assigning.
- Specify general settings.
- Review estimated cost for protecting EC2 instances.
- Finish working with the wizard.