Step 2. Create Virtual Private Target Gateway
To establish a VPN connection between the VPC of the backup appliance and your on-premises network, create a virtual private target gateway on the AWS side and attach the gateway to the VPC:
- In the VPC console, navigate to Virtual Private Network > Virtual Private Gateways and click Create Virtual Private Gateway.
- Complete the Create virtual private gateway wizard:
- At the Details step, do the following:
- [Optional] In the Name tag field, specify a name for the virtual private target gateway.
- In the Autonomous System Number (ASN) section, choose whether you want to keep the default ASN or specify a custom one. This ASN must not match the BGP ASN that you have specified for the customer gateway at step 1.
For custom ASNs, the following limitations apply. For a 16-bit ASN, its value must be between 64512 and 65534; for a 32-bit ASN, its value must be between 4200000000 and 4294967294.
Note that after you create the VPN connection, you will not be able to change the ASN for it.
- Click Create virtual private gateway.
- To attach the created virtual private gateway to the VPC, select the gateway in the Virtual private gateways list and click Actions > Attach to VPC.
- Complete the Attach to VPC wizard:
- At the Details step, select the VPC from the list of available VPCs.
- Click Attach to VPC.