Performing Volume-Level Restore
In case a disaster strikes, you can restore corrupted EBS volumes of an EC2 instance from a cloud-native snapshot, snapshot replica or image-level backup. Veeam Backup for AWS allows you to restore EBS volumes to the original location or to a new location.
How Volume-Level Restore Works
To restore EBS volumes from cloud-native snapshots and snapshot replicas, Veeam Backup for AWS uses native AWS capabilities. To restore EBS volumes from image-level backups, Veeam Backup for AWS performs the following steps:
- Launches a worker instance in the AWS Region where the restored EBS volumes will reside.
- Creates empty EBS volumes and attaches them to the worker instance.
The number of empty EBS volumes equals the number of volumes you selected to restore.
- Restores backed-up data to the empty EBS volumes on the worker instance.
- Detaches EBS volumes with restored data from the worker instance.
- Removes the worker instance from Amazon EC2.
Veeam Backup for AWS does not attach restored EBS volumes to any EC2 instances — the volumes are placed to the specified location as standalone EBS volumes.
If you plan to restore EBS volumes to an AWS Outpost, check the following prerequisites:
- An IAM role you plan to specify for the restore operation must have the following permissions: outposts:ListOutposts, outposts:GetOutpostInstanceTypes. To grant the necessary permissions for the IAM role, use the AWS Management Console.
- If the Outpost subnet is specified in the worker configuration settings, restore of EBS volumes to an AWS Region to which the AWS Outpost is connected may fail. The issue occurs if the default worker instance class (c5.large) is not supported for the AWS Outpost. In this case, contact Veeam Customer Support to change the type of the worker instance.
How to Perform Volume Restore
To restore EBS volumes attached to a protected EC2 instance, complete the following steps:
- Launch the Volume Restore wizard.
- Select a restore point.
- Exclude EBS volumes from restore.
- Specify IAM identity for restore.
- Choose a restore mode.
- Select an AWS Region and Availability Zone.
- Enable encryption for EBS volumes.
- Specify the restored EBS volume name.
- Specify a restore reason.
- Finish working with the wizard.