You can create cloud-native snapshots of EC2 instances manually when needed. You can instruct Veeam Backup for AWS to store the created snapshots in the same AWS regions where the processed EC2 instances reside, or in a different AWS region or AWS account.
Mind that cloud-native snapshots created manually are not included into the snapshot chain. Therefore, such snapshots are not removed automatically according to retention policy settings. For information on how to remove them, see sections Removing Backups and Removing Individual Cloud-Native Snapshots Created Manually.
To create cloud-native snapshots of EC2 instances manually, complete the following steps:
- In the main menu on the left, click Instances.
- Select check boxes next to the necessary EC2 instances from the list.
You can use the search field to find the EC2 instance by name.
- At the top of the list, click Take Snapshot Now.
Veeam Backup for AWS will open the Take Snapshot wizard.
- At the Accounts step of the wizard, specify an IAM role whose permissions Veeam Backup for AWS will use to create cloud-native snapshots.
- At the Snapshot Mode step of the wizard, select destination for the created cloud-native snapshots:
- Original region — select this option if you want to store cloud-native snapshots in the same AWS regions where the processed EC2 instances reside.
- Remote region — select this option if you want to store cloud-native snapshots in another AWS region or AWS account.
In this case, the Take Snapshot wizard will include a Remote Settings step for specifying the target AWS region and other settings.
- At the Remote Settings step of the wizard:
- From the IAM Role drop-down list, select an IAM role whose permissions will be used to copy and store cloud-native snapshots in a target AWS region.
If you select an IAM role created in another AWS account, cloud-native snapshots will be copied to the target region in that AWS account.
- From the Region drop-down list, select the target AWS region.
- In the Encryption Settings section, specify whether copied cloud-native snapshots must be encrypted. If so, from the Encryption key drop-down list, select AWS Key Management Service (AWS KMS) customer master keys (CMKs) to be used for snapshot encryption.
Note that for snapshot encryption you can use only those CMKs that are stored in the target AWS region and only those CMKs on which the selected IAM role has permissions.
- At the Tags step of the wizard, you can assign AWS tags to the created cloud-native snapshots.
- To assign tags of EBS volumes attached to processed EC2 instances, select the Copy Tags from source volume check box.
- To assign your own custom tags, click Add.
In the Add additional Tag window, specify a tag key and value for each custom tag, and then click Apply.
- At the Summary step of the wizard, click Finish.