Creating Snapshots Manually
You can create cloud-native snapshots of EC2 instances manually. You can instruct Veeam Backup for AWS to store the created snapshots in the same AWS Regions where the processed EC2 instances reside, or in a different AWS Region or AWS account.
Veeam Backup for AWS does not include snapshots created manually in the snapshot chain and does not apply the configured retention policy settings to these snapshots. This means that the snapshots are kept in your AWS environment unless you remove them manually, as described in section Managing Backed-Up EC2 Instance Data.
To manually create a cloud-native snapshot of an EC2 instance, do the following:
- Navigate to Instances > EC2.
- Select the necessary instance and click Take Snapshot Now.
In the list of available instances, Veeam Backup for AWS displays all EC2 instances on which IAM roles that you specify in backup policy settings have permissions
- Complete the Take snapshot wizard:
- At the Account step of the wizard, specify an IAM role whose permissions Veeam Backup for AWS will use to create the snapshot.
- At the Snapshot Mode step of the wizard, choose whether you want to store the snapshot in the same AWS Region where the processed EC2 instance resides, or in another AWS Region or AWS account.
- [Applies if you have selected the Remote region option] At the Remote Settings step of the wizard, choose an IAM role whose permissions will be used to copy and store the snapshot in a target AWS Region, the target AWS Region and specify whether to encrypt the copied snapshot.
- At the Tags step of the wizard, choose whether you want to assign AWS tags to the created snapshot.
- To assign already existing AWS tags from the EBS volumes of the processed EC2 instance, select the Copy Tags from source volume check box.
- To assign your own custom AWS tags, click Add and specify the tags explicitly. To do that, in the Add additional Tag window, specify a key and a value for the new AWS tag, and then click Apply.
- At the Summary step of the wizard, review summary information and click Finish.