You can configure Veeam Backup for AWS to send email notifications on backup policy results and, additionally, generate and send daily reports. The daily report contains cumulative statistics for backup policy and snapshot retention sessions performed within the last 24-hour period.
To receive email notifications and daily reports:
- At the top right corner of the Veeam Backup for AWS window, click Configuration.
- In the configuration menu on the left, click Settings.
- On the E-mail tab, select the Enable e-mail notifications check box.
- In the SMTP Server field, specify a DNS name or an IP address of the SMTP server.
All email notifications (including test messages) and daily reports will be sent by this SMTP server.
- Click Advanced to specify credentials that will be used to authenticate against the SMTP server and other connection settings.
In the Advanced SMTP Options window:
- Specify the port number and connection timeout for the SMTP server.
- To use a secure connection for email operations, select the Connect using SSL check box.
- If you need to connect to the SMTP server using a specific account, select the This SMTP server requires authentication check box and select the necessary credentials record from the Log on as list. For information on how to add credentials records for SMTP servers to the configuration database, see Creating Credentials Records.
If you have not set up credentials beforehand, click Add on the right to add a credentials record to the configuration database.
- Click Apply.
- In the From field, specify an email address from which email notifications must be sent.
- In the To field, specify a recipient email address. Use a semicolon to separate multiple addresses. Do not use spaces after semicolons between the specified email addresses.
For each particular policy, you can specify additional recipients. For more information, see Step 10. Specify Retry and Notification Settings.
If you specify the same email recipient in both backup policy settings and global email notification settings, Veeam Backup for AWS will send two separate notifications to this recipient if a list of email recipients specified in backup policy settings and global email notification settings is different.
- In the Subject field, specify a subject for the sent message.
You can use the following variables in the subject:
- %JobName% — the backup policy name
- [%JobResult%] — the backup policy result
- (%ObjectCount% instances) — number of EC2 instances in the backup policy
- %Issues% — number of EC2 instances in the backup policy that have been processed with the Warning or Failed status
- Under Notify me immediately about, select occasions on which you want Veeam Backup for AWS to send email notifications:
- Success — select this check box to receive an email notification if a backup policy completes successfully.
- Warning — select this check box to receive an email notification if a backup policy completes with a warning.
- Failure — select this check box to receive an email notification if a backup policy fails.
- To receive daily reports, select the Send daily report at check box and specify the time when a report must be generated and sent.
Veeam Backup for AWS allows sending a test email notification to check if all settings have been configured correctly. To send a test email notification, click Send Test E-mail.
- Click Save.