Specifying Daily Schedule
To create a daily schedule for the backup policy, at the Schedule step of the wizard, do the following:
- Set the Daily schedule toggle to On and click Edit Daily Settings.
- In the Create daily schedule window, select hours when the backup policy will create cloud-native snapshots, snapshot replicas or image-level backups.
If you want to protect EC2 instance data more frequently, you can instruct the backup policy to create multiple cloud-native snapshots per hour. To do that, click the link to the right of the Snapshots hour selection area, and specify the number of cloud-native snapshots that the backup policy will create within an hour.
Veeam Backup for AWS does not create snapshot replicas and image-level backups independently from cloud-native snapshots. That is why when you select hours for snapshot replicas and image-level backups, the same hours are automatically selected for cloud-native snapshots. To learn how Veeam Backup for AWS performs backup, see EC2 Backup.
- Use the Run at drop-down list to choose whether you want the backup policy to run everyday, on work days (Monday through Friday) or on specific days.
- In the Daily retention section, configure retention policy settings for the daily schedule:
- For cloud-native snapshots and snapshot replicas, specify the number of restore points that you want to keep in cloud-native snapshot and snapshot replica chains.
If the restore point limit is exceeded, Veeam Backup for AWS removes the earliest restore point from the chain. For more information, see EC2 and RDS Snapshot Retention.
To allow the Changed Block Tracking (CBT) mechanism to be used when processing EC2 instance data, you must keep at least one snapshot in the snapshot chain. However, by design, Veeam Backup for AWS permanently retains 2 cloud-native snapshots in the chain due to the CBT mechanism limitations. To learn how the CBT mechanism works, see Changed Block Tracking.
- For image-level backups, specify the number of days (or months) for which you want to keep restore points in a backup chain.
If a restore point is older than the specified time limit, Veeam Backup for AWS removes the restore point from the chain. For more information, see EC2 Backup Retention.
- To save changes made to the backup policy settings, click Apply.