Specifying Weekly Schedule
To create a weekly schedule for the backup policy, at the Schedule step of the wizard, do the following:
- Set the Weekly schedule toggle to On and click Edit Weekly Settings.
- In the Create weekly schedule window, select weekdays when the backup policy will create cloud-native snapshots, snapshot replicas or image-level backups.
Veeam Backup for AWS does not create snapshot replicas and image-level backups independently from cloud-native snapshots. That is why when you select days to create snapshot replicas and image-level backups, the same days are automatically selected for cloud-native snapshots. To learn how Veeam Backup for AWS performs backup, see EC2 Backup.
- Use the Create restore point at drop-down list to schedule a specific time for the backup policy to run.
- In the Weekly retention section, configure retention policy settings for the weekly schedule:
- For cloud-native snapshots and snapshot replicas, specify the number of restore points that you want to keep in cloud-native snapshot and snapshot replica chains.
If the restore point limit is exceeded, Veeam Backup for AWS removes the earliest restore point from the chain. For more information, see EC2 and RDS Snapshot Retention.
To allow the Changed Block Tracking (CBT) mechanism to be used when processing EC2 instance data, you must keep at least one snapshot in the snapshot chain. However, by design, Veeam Backup for AWS permanently retains 2 cloud-native snapshots in the chain due to the CBT mechanism limitations. To learn how the CBT mechanism works, see Changed Block Tracking.
- For image-level backups, specify the number of days (or months) for which you want to keep restore points in a backup chain.
If a restore point is older than the specified time limit, Veeam Backup for AWS removes the restore point from the chain. For more information, see EC2 Backup Retention.
- To save changes made to the backup policy settings, click Apply.