Step 3.3 Select EC2 Instances
In the Resources section of the Sources step of the wizard, specify the backup scope — select EC2 instances that Veeam Backup for AWS will back up:
- Click Select resources to protect.
- In the Choose resource protection options window, choose whether you want to back up all EC2 instances from AWS Regions selected at step 3.2, or only specific EC2 instances.
If you select the All resources option, Veeam Backup for AWS will regularly check for new EC2 instances launched in the selected regions and automatically update the backup policy settings to include these instances in the backup scope.
If you select the Protect the following resources option, you must also specify the instances explicitly:
- Use the Resource type drop-down list to choose whether you want to add individual EC2 instances or AWS tags to the backup scope.
If you select the Tag option, Veeam Backup for AWS will back up only those EC2 instances that reside in the selected regions under specific AWS tags.
- Use the search field to the right of the Resource type list to find the necessary resource, and then click Protect to add the resource to the backup scope.
Alternatively, you can click Browse to select specific sources from the global list, select check boxes next to the necessary EC2 instances or AWS tags in the list of available resources, and then click Protect.
It may take some time for Veeam Backup for AWS to access AWS resources and to populate the list of available EC2 instances or AWS tags. To speed up the data collection process, click Rescan.
If you add an AWS tag to the backup scope, Veeam Backup for AWS will regularly check for new EC2 instances assigned the added AWS tag and automatically update the backup policy settings to include these instances in the scope. However, this applies only to EC2 instances from the regions selected at step 3.2. If you select a tag assigned to EC2 instances from other regions, these instances will not be protected by the backup policy. To work around the issue, either go back to step 3.2 and add the missing regions, or create a new backup policy.
- To save changes made to the backup policy settings, click Apply.