Performing Entire EC2 Instance Restore
In case of a disaster, you can restore an entire EC2 instance from a cloud-native snapshot, snapshot replica or image-level backup. Veeam Backup for AWS allows you to restore one or more EC2 instances at a time, to the original location or to a new location.
How Instance Restore Works
To restore EC2 instances from cloud-native snapshots and snapshot replicas, Veeam Backup for AWS uses native AWS capabilities. To restore EC2 instances from image-level backups, Veeam Backup for AWS performs the following steps:
- Launches a worker instance in the AWS Region where the restored EC2 instance will reside.
- Creates empty EBS volumes and attaches them to the worker instance.
The number of empty EBS volumes equals the number of EBS volumes attached to the backed-up EC2 instance.
- Restores backed-up data to the empty EBS volumes on the worker instance.
- Detaches EBS volumes with restored data from the worker instance.
- Removes the worker instance from Amazon EC2.
- Creates an EC2 instance in the specified location.
- Attaches EBS volumes with restored data to the target EC2 instance.
- [This step applies only if you perform restore to the original location] Powers off the source EC2 instance and removes it from Amazon EC2.
If you plan to restore an EC2 instance to an AWS Outpost, check the following prerequisites:
- An IAM role you plan to specify for the restore operation must have the following permissions: outposts:ListOutposts, outposts:GetOutpostInstanceTypes. To grant the necessary permissions for the IAM role, use the AWS Management Console. For more information on how to grant permissions to an IAM role, see AWS Documentation.
- If an Outpost subnet is specified in the worker instance network settings, restore of an EC2 instance to an AWS Region to which the AWS Outpost is connected may fail. The issue occurs if the default worker instance class (c5.large) is not supported for the AWS Outpost. To work around the issue, contact Veeam Customer Support.
How to Perform Instance Restore
To restore a protected EC2 instance, complete the following steps: