Performing Configuration Backup Using Console
While performing configuration backup, Veeam Backup & Replication backs up the configuration of the backup server and also configurations of all backup appliances added to the backup infrastructure.
You can perform configuration backup manually or instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to do it automatically on a regular basis:
- To perform configuration backup manually, follow the instructions provided in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide, section Running Configuration Backups Manually.
- To instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to perform configuration backup automatically, follow the instructions provided in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide, section Scheduling Configuration Backups.
For Veeam Backup & Replication to be able to back up configurations of managed backup appliances, you must enable backup file encryption in the configuration backup settings.
Before You Begin
If you plan to back up the configuration of a managed backup appliance, keep in mind the following limitations and considerations:
- You must enable backup file encryption in the configuration backup settings. Otherwise, Veeam Backup & Replication will back up only the backup server configuration.
To learn how to create encrypted configuration backup, see the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide, section Creating Encrypted Configuration Backups.
- You cannot store configuration backups in scale-out backup repositories and external repositories.
- For Veeam Backup & Replication to be able to back up the appliance configuration, the backup appliance must be available and must run a Veeam Backup for AWS version that is compatible with the Veeam Backup & Replication version.
For the list of compatible versions, see System Requirements.
- During configuration backup, Veeam Backup & Replication processes only 3 appliances at a time — the appliances exceeding this limit are queued.
- To enable data loss protection in case you lose or forget the password used for data encryption, you can use Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager to decrypt backup files.
To learn how to let Veeam Backup & Replication encrypt and decrypt data with Enterprise Manager, see the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Guide, section Managing Encryption Keys.
Configuration Backup Location
Veeam Backup & Replication stores configuration backups of backup appliances in a repository specified in configuration backup settings. Backups are saved in the \\VeeamConfigBackup\AWS folder.
Consider the following: