Specifying Monthly Schedule
To create a monthly schedule for the backup policy, at the Schedule step of the wizard, do the following:
- Set the Monthly schedule toggle to On and click Edit Monthly Settings.
- [This step applies if you have enabled backup archiving at the Targets step of the wizard] In the Create monthly schedule section of the opened window, choose whether you want to store monthly backups in the archive repository.
If you set the Send backups to archive toggle to On, follow the instructions provided in section Enabling Backup Archiving.
- In the Create monthly schedule window, select months when the backup policy must create cloud-native snapshots, snapshot replicas or image-level backups.
Veeam Backup for AWS does not create snapshot replicas and image-level backups independently from cloud-native snapshots. That is why when you select months to create snapshot replicas and image-level backups, the same months are automatically selected for cloud-native snapshots. To learn how Veeam Backup for AWS performs backup, see RDS Backup.
- Use the Create restore point at and Run on drop-down lists to schedule a specific time and day for the backup policy to run.
Consider the following:
- In the Monthly retention section, configure retention policy settings for the monthly schedule:
- For cloud-native snapshots and snapshot replicas, specify the number of restore points that you want to keep in cloud-native snapshot and snapshot replica chains.
If the restore point limit is exceeded, Veeam Backup for AWS removes the earliest restore point from each chain. For more information, see RDS Snapshot Retention.
- For image-level backups, specify the number of days (or months) for which you want to keep restore points in a backup chain.
If a restore point is older than the specified time limit, Veeam Backup for AWS removes the restore point from the chain. For more information, see RDS Backup Retention.
- To save changes made to the backup policy settings, click Apply.