A scale-out backup repository is a repository system with horizontal scaling support for multi-tier storage of data. The scale-out backup repository consists of one or more backup repositories called performance extents, and can be expanded with cloud-based repositories or local object repositories. All the storage devices and systems inside the scale-out backup repository are joined into a system, with their capacities summarized.
The main benefits of this feature are as follows:
- It provides a convenient way of managing the backup storage.
- It provides an easy way to extend repositories when they run out of space by simply adding a new performance extent to the existing scale-out repository. You can expand the scale-out backup repository at any moment. For example, if backup data grows and the backup repository reaches the storage limit, you can add a new storage system to the scale-out backup repository. The free space on this storage system will be added to the capacity of the scale-out backup repository. As a result, you will not have to move backups to a backup repository of a larger size.
- It supports any backup target supported by Veeam: Windows or Linux servers with local or DAS storage, network shares, deduplicating storage appliances. All the features of any storage device or system are preserved.
- It allows you to set up granular performance policy. For more information, see Backup File Placement.
- It provides practically unlimited cloud-based storage capacity: you can instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to offload data from extents to the cloud for long-term storage. For details, see Capacity Tier.
A scale-out backup repository can be used for the following types of jobs and tasks:
- Backup jobs.
- Backup copy jobs.
You can copy backups that reside on scale-out backup repositories and store backup copies on scale-out backup repositories.
- VeeamZIP tasks.
- Backup jobs created by Veeam Agent for Linux 2.0 or later.
- Backup jobs created by Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 or later.
Backup files stored on the scale-out repository can be used for all types of restores, replication from backup and backup copy jobs. You can verify such backups with SureBackup jobs. The scale-out backup repository can be used as a staging backup repository for restore from tape media. Files restored from the tape media are placed to the extents according to data placement policy configured for the scale-out backup repository. For more information, see Backup File Placement.
To deploy a scale-out backup repository, you must configure a number of backup repositories and add them to a scale-out backup repository as performance extents. You can mix backup repositories of different types in one scale-out backup repository:
- Microsoft Windows backup repositories
- Linux backup repositories
- Shared folders
- Deduplicating storage appliances
For example, you can add a Microsoft Windows backup repository and deduplicating storage appliance to the same scale-out backup repository.
In This Section